The Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) operates as the academic advising unit for the Biddle Institute. ACE serves students who have not decided upon a major, as well as students enrolled in the Sit Lux and Biddle Freshman programs.
The mission of the Academic Center for Excellence Advising Program is to assist undecided students in developing and implementing meaningful plans in preparation for advanced study and specific careers.
ACE offers a comprehensive range of services to help students make informed decisions regarding their academic coursework and choosing their major. ACE assists students in the clarification of their life/ career goals and in the development of educational plans for the realization of these goals.
These services include:
- To assist students in understanding the purpose and potential of higher education
- To assist students in understanding their values, strengths and interests
- To assist students in considering life goals by relating their values, strengths and interests to higher education and the world of work
- To assist in developing an educational plan consistent with life goals and objectives
- To assist students in the development of decision making skills
- To provide accurate information about institutional policies, procedures, resources and programs
- To provide students with personal referrals to other campus resources
- To evaluate and monitor student academic progress and the impact on achievement of goals
- To provide information about students to appropriate campus constituents
- To improve program effectiveness through ongoing assessment
- To cultivate ambassadors for the university
Students should contact their adviser directly to request an appointment. Please send your advisor an e-mail message.
Sit Lux, Biddle, or Undecided major students whose last name begin with A through G, Ms. Leslie Brooks, email@example.com, 704-330-1334
Sit Lux, Biddle, or Undecided major students whose last name begins with H through P, Mr. George Buggs III, firstname.lastname@example.org, 704-330-1330
Sit Lux, Biddle, or Undecided major students whose last name begins with Q through Z, Ms. Stacey Sandeford-Lyons, email@example.com, 704-378-1114
Drop-in hours are from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. An appointment is required for all other times. Students with appointments will be seen first.
Working with your Advisor
As a student, you are responsible for your education. You will choose the path that best works for you. Advisors are available to help you along the way, but you must be an active participant in the advising process as you strive to complete your degree requirements.
Preparing for an Advising Session
To get the most out of your time with your advisor, please take time to prepare for your appointment.
- Know your student ID number and Jenzabar password.
- Monitor your progress in all of your classes. Read your syllabus and know what is required of you in each course.
- Review the Liberal Studies Checklist to determine which courses you need to take.
- Review information about your intended major in the online catalog for the year that you entered JCSU.
- If you are undecided, review the list of majors available at JCSU (found in the online catalog) and make a list of the ones that interest you the most.
- Prepare a list of courses that you would like to take the following semester.
Bring a list of concerns that you would like to discuss. Once you have prepared, e-mail your advisor to schedule an appointment.